Motorsport Ireland has said that Cork Motor Clubs cancelled Forestry rally was not on the approved calendar and that only gated events have been approved so far this year.
Earlier this week Cork Motor Club announced that it was cancelling its August event as a result of the entry fee price structure laid down by the governing body and the rallies commission in its plan to resume the sport in Ireland
Last month MI issued a calendar of events to cover from June until the end of the year.
All non-gated events like rallies were listed as provisional and would not be allowed go ahead until further restrictions were lifted across all aspects of Irish society.
Following Cork Motor Club’s announcement on Sunday night, Kerry Motorsport News asked MI to give its view on the situation.
“The event wasn’t officially on the calendar, as is well known rally dates were only included on the calendar for reference only and once the status of non-gated events has been approved, meetings will take place between the interested clubs and the relevant sporting commissions to confirm their place on the calendar. This is still the case and was stated on the calendar a number of weeks ago,” an MI official said.
Become an official Kerry Motorsport News supporter
Become an official Kerry Motorsport News supporter Here is your chance to become a supporter of Kerry Motorsport News Keep this important service – (the only county dedicated motorsport news site in Ireland) – on the air. Only €5.00 per month or €50 for a full year (12 months)