Following a meeting in Portlaoise on November 24, a new look 2022 Motorsport Ireland calendar has been agreed. Motorsport Ireland wish to extend sincerest thanks to all who attended and contributed to a very constructive evening. The basis of the calendar is as follows:
• Rounds of the Irish Tarmac Rally Championship (including the Killarney Historics) will run every year.
• All Forestry Rallies will, where possible, run every year. Three Forestry Rallies are included in the calendar for 2022 and a fourth (or fifth) would be welcomed should a club(s) wish to run such an event.
• All Stages Rallies (except Wexford), will run every other year. This means that Connacht, ALMC, Kerry, Carrick-On-Suir, Midland, Cavan, Clare and Skibbereen will run in 2023 with their 2023 dates to be confirmed in the coming months.
• All Mini Stages will rotate every other year. Kerry Winter & GSMC to run in 2022, Imokilly & Laois to run in 2023.
• Following the movement of some events at last night’s meeting, the Rallies Commission have created a working group to see what championships are viable for 2022.
• Any club not running a rally in a calendar year have the possibility of running an official test day should it be possible. It is envisioned that these test days would be between 3 and 5km in length, would be untimed, would count as an event run by the club, would count as upgrades to officials licences, could be used to train timekeepers and would provide a safe space for competitors to test their cars.
• The 24 month calendar will provide stability by ensuring as even a spread of events as possible to maximise entries, while lessening the demands on officials, marshals and suppliers to our sport.
• Effort has been made, where possible, to avoid direct clashes with events in Northern Ireland and the UK.
• The 24 month rally calendar will be reviewed at the 2023 Annual Congress to assess if it’s something clubs are willing to continue with
Just as newspapers and magazines are paid for, digital editorial content will also have to be paid for.
Please subscribe and help us keep this machine running!
It’s only €50 per year – subscribe now
Subscribe to get access
Read more of this content when you subscribe today.