Killarney and District Motor Club is hopeful its Rentokil Initial Historic Rally can go ahead later this year.
The club has begun initial preparations for the event but all future decisions will depend on the government lifting further restrictions and other virus related guidelines.
An event the size and stature of the Killarney Historic Rally takes months of planning and rather than be faced with a massive workload at short notice the club has taken the decision to start the pre-event planning at this time with the option that the event can be pulled at a later date if the virus is not sufficiently suppressed.
With this in mind the organising team has secured a new date for the rally and has confirmed that the Gleneagle Hotel will, once again, act as event headquarters.
The rally, originally fixed for Saturday December 5, has been brought forward one week to November 28, mainly due to several other events rescheduled taking place at the Gleneagle Hotel on the original date and to take advantage of slightly longer daylight hours in late November.
No decision has been taken on a potential route but it is understood that KDMC is considering using remote roads with little or no residents.
Side events like the town centre ceremonial start and a prizegiving ceremony could be removed from the event’s schedule to comply with crowd-gathering rules that may be in place at the time of the event.
Like all events, in the early planning stages, decisions remain fluid and the club is ready to act either way depending on further restrictions or the future easing of large event and crowd gathering rules.
Versions of this article were previously published in The Kerryman and The Killarney Advertiser. Kerry Motorsport News is the motorsport content provider to both weekly titles.